The Opposite(Antonym) of “antagonist”
The antonym of antagonist is ally, supporter, and friend. The antonyms ally, supporter, and friend convey a positive or supportive relationship. It implies a person who is on your side, helping you achieve your goals.
Definitions and Examples of ally, supporter, friend
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A person or group that cooperates with or supports another.
The two countries formed an ally to fight against terrorism.
A person who approves of and encourages someone or something.
She was a strong supporter of the environmental movement and worked tirelessly to promote it.
A person whom one knows and trusts; a close acquaintance.
He has been my friend since childhood, and we have always supported each other through thick and thin.
Key Differences: ally vs supporter vs friend
- 1Ally is a term used to describe a person or group that cooperates with or supports another in achieving a common goal.
- 2Supporter is a term used to describe a person who approves of and encourages someone or something.
- 3Friend is a term used to describe a person whom one knows and trusts, a close acquaintance.
Effective Usage of ally, supporter, friend
- 1Politics: Use ally and supporter to describe political relationships between countries or parties.
- 2Social Relationships: Use friend to describe close personal relationships.
- 3Sports: Use ally and supporter to describe teams or individuals who work together towards a common goal.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Ally describes a cooperative relationship, supporter denotes approval and encouragement, and friend refers to a close personal relationship. Use these words to describe political relationships, social relationships, and sports teams.