What is the antonym of “anterior”?
The antonym of anterior is posterior, later, and subsequent. These antonyms are used to describe the position, time, or order of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Situated at the back or behind; opposite of anterior.
The posterior part of the brain controls vision and spatial awareness.
At a time in the future; after the present or the time being referred to.
I will meet you later at the coffee shop.
Coming after something in time; following in order or sequence.
The company reported a loss in the first quarter and a profit in the subsequent quarter.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Posterior refers to the back or behind, while anterior refers to the front or before.
- 2Later refers to a time in the future, while anterior refers to a time in the past or before.
- 3Subsequent refers to something that comes after another thing in time or order, while anterior refers to something that comes before.
Good things to know
- 1Medical Terminology: Use anterior and posterior to describe the location of body parts.
- 2Chronological Order: Use anterior and subsequent to describe the order of events.
- 3Planning and Scheduling: Use later to indicate a future time or action.
The antonyms of anterior are posterior, later, and subsequent. They are used to describe the position, time, or order of something. Use these words in medical terminology to describe body parts, in chronological order to describe the order of events, and in planning and scheduling to indicate a future time or action.