The Opposite(Antonym) of “antithesis”
The antonym of antithesis are same, similarity, and likeness. The antonyms same, similarity, and likeness convey the idea of similarity or sameness. They imply that two things share common features or characteristics.
Definitions and Examples of same, similarity, likeness
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Identical or not different; having no change or variation.
The twins looked so same that it was hard to tell them apart.
The quality or state of being similar; having a likeness or resemblance.
There is a striking similarity between the two paintings, even though they were created by different artists.
The quality or state of being alike; having a resemblance or similarity.
The sculpture bears a remarkable likeness to the person it was modeled after.
Key Differences: same vs similarity vs likeness
- 1Same implies that two things are identical or indistinguishable from each other.
- 2Similarity refers to the quality of having common features or characteristics.
- 3Likeness suggests a resemblance or similarity in appearance or nature.
Effective Usage of same, similarity, likeness
- 1Clarify Meaning: Use same, similarity, and likeness to clarify the meaning of a concept or idea.
- 2Compare and Contrast: Incorporate these antonyms in writing or speaking to compare and contrast different things.
- 3Avoid Ambiguity: Use these words to avoid ambiguity and ensure clear communication.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Same implies identity, similarity denotes common features, and likeness suggests resemblance. Use these words to clarify meaning, compare and contrast different things, and avoid ambiguity in communication.