What is the antonym of “arcane”?
The antonyms of arcane are familiar and commonplace. The antonyms familiar and commonplace convey a sense of familiarity and commonness. It implies that something is well-known, easily understood, or commonly encountered.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Well-known or easily recognized; often encountered or experienced.
The city's landmarks were familiar to her since she grew up there.
Ordinary or unremarkable; frequently encountered or experienced.
The story's plot was commonplace and lacked originality.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Familiar describes something that is well-known or easily recognized, while arcane describes something that is obscure or mysterious.
- 2Commonplace describes something that is ordinary or unremarkable, while arcane describes something that is esoteric or difficult to understand.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use familiar and commonplace to describe things that are well-known or ordinary.
- 2Improve Comprehension: Incorporate antonyms in reading and listening exercises to help learners understand the meaning of words in context.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create contrast and add depth to descriptions.