What is the antonym of “ascent”?
The antonyms of ascent are descent and decline. The antonyms descent and decline convey a downward movement or decrease in quantity, quality, or value.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A movement downward, such as a decline, fall, or drop.
The plane's descent was so steep that it made some passengers feel nauseous.
To decrease in quantity, quality, or value over time.
The company's profits started to decline after the new competitor entered the market.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Descent refers to a physical movement downwards, while decline refers to a gradual decrease in quantity, quality, or value.
- 2Descent is a noun, while decline is a verb.
Good things to know
- 1Hiking and Climbing: Use ascent and descent to describe the upward and downward movements during outdoor activities.
- 2Economics and Business: Use ascent and decline to describe the increase and decrease in financial performance.
- 3Academics and Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in essays, research papers, and other academic writing to add variety and precision to your language.
The antonyms of ascent are descent and decline. Use descent to describe a physical movement downwards and decline to describe a gradual decrease in quantity, quality, or value. These antonyms can be used in various contexts, such as hiking and climbing, economics and business, and academics and writing.