What is the antonym of “ascescency”?
The antonyms of ascescency are decline, descent, and fall. These words convey the opposite meaning of ascescency, which refers to a rise or upward movement.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A gradual decrease in quality, quantity, or importance.
The company's profits showed a steady decline over the years.
Her health started to decline after she turned 70.
The act of moving downward from a higher position or level.
The plane began its descent towards the airport.
She traced her descent back to the Mayflower pilgrims.
To drop or descend under the force of gravity.
The leaves fall from the trees in autumn.
The stock market experienced a sharp fall after the announcement.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Decline refers to a gradual decrease in quality, quantity, or importance.
- 2Descent refers to the act of moving downward from a higher position or level.
- 3Fall refers to a sudden drop or decline in status, power, or fortune.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use decline to describe a decrease in sales, profits, or market share.
- 2Aviation: Use descent to describe the act of an aircraft moving downward towards the ground.
- 3Finance: Use fall to describe a sudden drop in stock prices, currency exchange rates, or economic indicators.