What is the antonym of “astounding”?
The antonyms of astounding are unimpressive and ordinary. The antonyms unimpressive and ordinary convey a lack of surprise or amazement. It implies something that is not impressive or remarkable.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not causing admiration or awe; lacking impact or significance.
The magician's tricks were unimpressive and failed to impress the audience.
Having no special or distinctive features; commonplace or average.
The food at the restaurant was ordinary and didn't stand out from other places.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unimpressive describes something that does not cause admiration or awe, while ordinary describes something that is common or average.
- 2Unimpressive is a more subjective term that depends on personal expectations, while ordinary is a more objective term that describes something without any special features.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use unimpressive and ordinary to describe things that are not remarkable or special.
- 2Show Disappointment: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to express disappointment or dissatisfaction.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create contrast and emphasize the extraordinary nature of certain events or characters.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Unimpressive describes something that lacks impact or significance, while ordinary describes something that is common or average. Use these words to enhance communication, show disappointment, and enrich writing by creating contrast and emphasizing the extraordinary nature of certain events or characters.