What is the antonym of “attempting”?
The antonyms of attempting are succeeding and achieving. These words convey the opposite meaning of attempting, which is to successfully complete a task or goal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To accomplish a goal or task; to achieve a desired outcome.
After years of hard work, she finally succeeded in starting her own business.
To successfully reach a desired goal or objective.
He achieved his dream of becoming a doctor after years of studying and hard work.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Succeeding implies reaching a goal or objective, while attempting means making an effort to do so.
- 2Achieving suggests successfully completing a task or goal, while attempting simply means making an effort to do so.
Good things to know
- 1Goal-Setting: Use succeeding and achieving as motivation to set and reach personal goals.
- 2Encouragement: Use these antonyms to encourage others to keep working towards their goals.
- 3Job Interviews: Use these antonyms to describe your past experiences and accomplishments during job interviews.
The antonyms of attempting are succeeding and achieving. Use succeeding to imply reaching a goal or objective, and achieving to suggest successfully completing a task or goal. These words can be used for goal-setting, encouragement, and job interviews.