What is the antonym of “authority”?
The antonyms of authority are powerlessness and subservience. The antonyms powerlessness and subservience convey a lack of control or influence over a situation or person.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of ability, influence, or control over a situation or person.
The refugees felt a sense of powerlessness as they were unable to change their circumstances.
Willingness to obey or serve someone else without question or resistance.
The dictator demanded complete subservience from his followers.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Powerlessness refers to a lack of ability, influence, or control over a situation or person.
- 2Subservience refers to a willingness to obey or serve someone else without question or resistance.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use authority and its antonyms to discuss power dynamics in government and society.
- 2Workplace: Incorporate these antonyms to describe relationships between managers and employees.
- 3Personal Growth: Utilize these words to reflect on personal agency and the role of authority in one's life.