What is the antonym of “balk”?
The antonym of balk is accept, embrace, and encourage. The antonyms accept, embrace, and encourage convey a positive or affirmative attitude towards something. It implies a willingness to support, approve, or adopt.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To receive or take willingly something that is offered or given.
She decided to accept the job offer and start working next week.
To accept or support an idea, belief, or way of life enthusiastically.
He decided to embrace the challenge and work hard to achieve his goals.
To give support, confidence, or hope to someone to do something.
His coach always encourages him to do his best and never give up.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Accept implies a willingness to receive or take something that is offered or given.
- 2Embrace implies a willingness to accept or support an idea, belief, or way of life enthusiastically.
- 3Encourage implies a willingness to give support, confidence, or hope to someone to do something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use accept, embrace, and encourage to express positive attitudes effectively.
- 2Show Support: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate willingness to support, approve, or adopt.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.