What is the antonym of “ballooned”?
The antonyms of ballooned are deflate, shrink, and contract. The antonyms convey the opposite meaning of expanding or increasing in size.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To release air or gas from something, causing it to become smaller.
After the party, we had to deflate all the balloons and pack them away.
To become smaller in size or amount.
The fabric shrank in the wash and no longer fit properly.
To become smaller or shorter in length, size, or duration.
The company had to contract its operations due to financial difficulties.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deflate is used specifically for releasing air or gas from something, while shrink and contract can refer to any decrease in size or amount.
- 2Shrink is a general term that describes a decrease in size or amount, while contract often implies a deliberate reduction or consolidation of something.
- 3Deflate and shrink are both complementary antonyms, meaning they are opposite actions that can be performed on the same object, while contract is a gradable antonym that describes a change in size or amount.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Physical Changes: Use deflate, shrink, and contract to describe changes in size or amount.
- 2Business and Finance: Incorporate these antonyms when discussing business operations, financial performance, or market trends.
- 3Science and Technology: Utilize these antonyms when discussing physical properties of matter, such as gas pressure, volume, and temperature.
The antonyms of ballooned convey the opposite meaning of expanding or increasing in size. Deflate is specific to releasing air or gas, while shrink and contract describe any decrease in size or amount. These antonyms can be used to describe physical changes, discuss business and finance, or in scientific contexts.