What is the antonym of “balminess”?
The antonyms of balminess are harshness, severity, and bitterness. These antonyms describe the opposite of a mild, soothing, or pleasant experience. They convey a sense of roughness, strictness, or unpleasantness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being rough, severe, or unpleasant.
The harshness of the winter weather made it difficult to go outside.
The state or quality of being very strict, harsh, or extreme.
The severity of the punishment was meant to deter others from committing the same offense.
The quality of being unpleasantly sharp or acrid to the taste or smell.
The bitterness of the medicine made it hard for the child to swallow.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Harshness refers to something that is rough, severe, or unpleasant.
- 2Severity describes something that is very strict, harsh, or extreme.
- 3Bitterness refers to something that is unpleasantly sharp or acrid to the taste or smell.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Weather: Use harshness to describe cold, windy, or stormy weather.
- 2Describing Punishment: Use severity to describe strict or harsh punishment.
- 3Describing Taste: Use bitterness to describe unpleasant or acrid taste.
The antonyms of balminess are harshness, severity, and bitterness. Use these words to describe weather, punishment, or taste that is rough, strict, or unpleasant.