The Opposite(Antonym) of “belittle”
The antonym of belittle is praise, compliment, and exalt. The antonyms praise, compliment, and exalt convey a positive or approving attitude towards someone or something. It implies a recognition of worth, value, or achievement.
Definitions and Examples of praise, compliment, exalt
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express admiration or approval for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for her excellent performance in the exam.
To express admiration or appreciation for someone's qualities, skills, or actions.
He complimented her on her new hairstyle and said she looked stunning.
To praise or glorify someone or something highly; to elevate to a higher status or rank.
The king exalted his loyal servant to the position of chief advisor.
Key Differences: praise vs compliment vs exalt
- 1Praise is a general term that describes an expression of admiration or approval.
- 2Compliment is a more specific term that describes an expression of appreciation for someone's qualities, skills, or actions.
- 3Exalt is a more formal term that describes a high degree of praise or glorification, often associated with religious or spiritual contexts.
Effective Usage of praise, compliment, exalt
- 1Build Relationships: Use praise, compliment, and exalt to show appreciation and respect for others.
- 2Boost Confidence: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to uplift and motivate people.
- 3Celebrate Achievements: Utilize these antonyms in ceremonies, speeches, or presentations to recognize and honor accomplishments.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general admiration, compliment denotes appreciation for qualities or actions, and exalt refers to a high degree of praise or glorification. Use these words to build relationships, boost confidence, and celebrate achievements by recognizing and honoring accomplishments.