What is the antonym of “bilateral”?
The antonym of bilateral is unilateral and one-sided. The antonyms unilateral and one-sided convey a sense of asymmetry or imbalance. It implies that something is affecting only one side or party.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Affecting, undertaken by, or being done by one side only.
The company made a unilateral decision to cut employee benefits without consulting the union.
Involving or affecting only one person or group; not mutual or reciprocal.
Their relationship was one-sided because he was always giving and she was always taking.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unilateral refers to something that is done by one side only, without the agreement or involvement of the other side.
- 2One-sided refers to something that is affecting only one person or group, without being mutual or reciprocal.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use bilateral and unilateral to describe international agreements or actions taken by governments.
- 2Relationships: Use one-sided to describe imbalanced or unequal relationships.
- 3Business: Use bilateral to describe agreements or contracts between two parties.