What is the antonym of “bougie”?
The antonyms of bougie are humble and modest. The antonyms humble and modest convey a lack of pretentiousness or extravagance. It implies simplicity, unassuming, and unpretentiousness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's importance.
Despite his success, he remained humble and never forgot his roots.
Unassuming or moderate in the estimation of one's abilities or achievements.
She was a modest person who never boasted about her accomplishments.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Humble implies a lack of arrogance or pride, while bougie conveys a sense of pretentiousness or snobbishness.
- 2Modest suggests a lack of extravagance or showiness, while bougie implies a love for luxury and material possessions.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interactions: Use humble and modest to describe people who are unpretentious and down-to-earth.
- 2Personal Development: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to cultivate humility and modesty.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and realistic settings.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Humble conveys a lack of arrogance, while modest suggests a lack of extravagance. Use these words to describe people who are unpretentious and down-to-earth, cultivate humility and modesty, and create relatable characters and realistic settings in writing.