What is the antonym of “brace”?
The antonyms of brace are loosen and separate. The antonym loosen means to make something less tight or firm, while separate means to divide or disconnect something that was previously joined.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something less tight or firm.
He had to loosen his belt after eating too much food.
To divide or disconnect something that was previously joined.
She had to separate the laundry into different piles.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Loosen is used when something is too tight or firm and needs to be made less so.
- 2Separate is used when something needs to be divided or disconnected from something else.
Good things to know
- 1Daily Life: Use loosen when you need to make something less tight, like a belt or a jar lid.
- 2Household Chores: Use separate when you need to divide or disconnect things, like separating laundry or separating eggs.
- 3Engineering: Use loosen and separate in engineering contexts to describe the process of loosening bolts or separating parts of a machine.