What is the antonym of “buttoned”?
The antonyms of buttoned are unbuttoned, open, and loose. These words describe the state of clothing or objects that are not fastened or secured.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not fastened or secured with buttons.
He forgot to button his shirt, so it was unbuttoned all day.
Not closed or sealed; accessible or available for use.
The door was open so anyone could walk in.
Not tight or firmly fixed in place.
Her pants were too loose and kept falling down.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unbuttoned refers specifically to clothing or objects that are not fastened with buttons.
- 2Open can refer to any object or space that is not closed or sealed.
- 3Loose describes something that is not tight or firmly fixed in place.
Good things to know
- 1Fashion: Use buttoned and unbuttoned to describe clothing styles and preferences.
- 2Safety: Use open to warn people of potential hazards or to indicate safe access.
- 3Physical Description: Use loose to describe the fit of clothing or the state of objects that are not tightly secured.
The antonyms of buttoned are unbuttoned, open, and loose. Use these words to describe clothing styles and preferences, indicate safety or potential hazards, and describe the fit of clothing or the state of objects that are not tightly secured.