What is the antonym of “buttress”?
The antonyms of buttress are undermine and weaken. The antonyms undermine and weaken convey a negative or destructive action. It implies a reduction in strength, support, or stability.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To weaken or erode the foundation or support of something.
The constant criticism from his boss started to undermine his confidence and motivation.
To make something less strong or effective.
The prolonged illness had weakened her immune system, making her more susceptible to infections.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Undermine suggests a deliberate or unintentional action that weakens the foundation or support of something.
- 2Weaken is a more general term that describes a reduction in strength or effectiveness.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use buttress, undermine, and weaken to create a more vivid and descriptive text.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Incorporate antonyms in your daily language practice to expand your vocabulary.
- 3Enrich Debates: Utilize these antonyms in arguments to strengthen your point or refute an opponent's argument.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Undermine suggests a deliberate or unintentional action that weakens the foundation or support of something, while weaken is a more general term that describes a reduction in strength or effectiveness. Use these words to enhance writing, improve vocabulary, and enrich debates by strengthening your point or refuting an opponent's argument.