What is the antonym of “capitulating”?
The antonyms of capitulating are resisting, defending, and opposing. These words convey the opposite meaning of giving up or surrendering. They imply a willingness to fight, protect, or stand up for oneself or others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Opposing or withstanding something that is being forced upon oneself.
The protestors were resisting the government's new policies and refused to back down.
Protecting oneself or others from harm or danger.
The soldiers were defending their country against the enemy's invasion.
Actively disagreeing with or resisting something.
The opposition party was opposing the new law proposed by the ruling party.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Resisting implies an active effort to oppose or withstand something that is being forced upon oneself.
- 2Defending implies an active effort to protect oneself or others from harm or danger.
- 3Opposing implies an active effort to disagree with or resist something that is being proposed or suggested.
Good things to know
- 1Debate: Use these antonyms to express different viewpoints and engage in healthy debates.
- 2Conflict Resolution: Incorporate these antonyms to find common ground and resolve conflicts peacefully.
- 3Assertiveness: Utilize these antonyms to assert oneself and stand up for one's beliefs and values.
The antonyms of capitulating are resisting, defending, and opposing. These words convey the opposite meaning of giving up or surrendering. Use them to engage in healthy debates, resolve conflicts peacefully, and assert oneself.