What is the antonym of “captious”?
The antonym of captious is uncritical and complimentary. The antonyms uncritical and complimentary convey a positive or approving attitude. It implies a lack of fault-finding or criticism.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not inclined to find fault or criticize; accepting without evaluating or analyzing.
She was uncritical of his work and praised him for his efforts.
Expressing praise, admiration, or approval; given as a gift or courtesy.
The hotel offered complimentary breakfast to all its guests.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Uncritical refers to a lack of criticism or fault-finding.
- 2Complimentary refers to expressing praise or approval.
Good things to know
- 1Positive Feedback: Use uncritical and complimentary to give positive feedback and show appreciation.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate antonyms in business communication to convey approval or acceptance.
- 3Social Interaction: Utilize these antonyms in social situations to express admiration or gratitude.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Uncritical denotes a lack of criticism, while complimentary conveys praise or approval. Use these words to give positive feedback, convey approval in professional communication, and express admiration or gratitude in social situations.