What is the antonym of “carnivore”?
The antonyms of carnivore are herbivore and omnivore. These words describe different types of animals based on their diet.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
An animal that feeds mainly on plants.
Deer, rabbits, and cows are examples of herbivores.
An animal that eats both plants and animals.
Humans, bears, and pigs are examples of omnivores.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Herbivores eat only plants, while carnivores eat only meat.
- 2Omnivores eat both plants and animals, making them more flexible in their diet than either herbivores or carnivores.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use these words to describe the diets of different animals in biology and ecology classes.
- 2Food: Use these words to describe different types of diets for humans and animals.
- 3Zoology: Use these words to describe the characteristics and behaviors of different types of animals.
The antonyms of carnivore are herbivore and omnivore. Herbivores eat only plants, while omnivores eat both plants and animals. Use these words in science, food, and zoology contexts to describe different diets and animal characteristics.