What is the antonym of “carnivorous”?
The antonyms of carnivorous are herbivorous and omnivorous. The antonyms herbivorous and omnivorous describe animals that have different diets than carnivores.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Feeding on plants, leaves, and other vegetation.
Deer, cows, and horses are examples of herbivorous animals.
Feeding on both plants and animals.
Humans, bears, and pigs are examples of omnivorous animals.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Herbivorous animals only eat plants, while carnivorous animals only eat meat.
- 2Omnivorous animals eat both plants and animals, while carnivorous animals only eat meat.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use these antonyms to describe the diets of different animals in biology or zoology classes.
- 2Food: Use these antonyms to describe different types of diets, such as vegetarian, vegan, or omnivorous.
- 3Environment: Use these antonyms to discuss the impact of different diets on the environment and sustainability.