Definitions and Examples of ignore, neglect, disregard
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
He chose to ignore the warning signs and ended up in trouble.
Fail to care for properly; disregard or ignore through lack of attention.
She neglected her health and ended up with a serious illness.
Pay no attention to; ignore or treat as unimportant.
He disregarded the safety instructions and put himself in danger.
Key Differences: ignore vs neglect vs disregard
- 1Ignore implies a conscious decision to not pay attention to something.
- 2Neglect suggests a lack of care or attention towards something or someone.
- 3Disregard means to treat something as unimportant or unworthy of attention.
Effective Usage of ignore, neglect, disregard
- 1Instructing: Use ignore, neglect, and disregard to explain what not to do.
- 2Warning: Use these antonyms to caution against the consequences of not paying attention.
- 3Expressing Disapproval: Use these words to express disapproval of someone's behavior.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Ignore implies a conscious decision, neglect suggests a lack of care, and disregard means to treat something as unimportant. Use these words to instruct, warn, and express disapproval.