What is the antonym of “clap”?
The antonyms of clap are boo and hiss. The antonyms boo and hiss convey a negative or disapproving emotional state. They are often used to express dissatisfaction, disappointment, or anger.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express disapproval or contempt by making a loud, harsh sound with the mouth.
The audience started to boo when the singer forgot the lyrics.
To make a sharp, sibilant sound, often as a sign of disapproval or anger.
The crowd began to hiss when the politician made an unpopular statement.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Boo is a vocal expression of disapproval that involves making a loud, harsh sound with the mouth.
- 2Hiss is a non-vocal expression of disapproval that involves making a sharp, sibilant sound.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use boo and hiss to show dissatisfaction or disapproval in public events such as concerts, speeches, or performances.
- 2Teach Vocabulary: Incorporate antonyms in language learning activities to help students expand their vocabulary.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in creative writing to add depth and realism to characters and situations.