What is the antonym of “cognizant”?
The antonyms of cognizant are unaware, ignorant, and oblivious. These antonyms describe a lack of knowledge, awareness, or understanding.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having no knowledge or consciousness of something.
She was unaware of the new company policy and accidentally broke it.
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something.
He was ignorant of the cultural differences and unintentionally offended his foreign colleagues.
Not aware of what is happening around oneself; lacking attention or memory.
She was so absorbed in her book that she was oblivious to the noise around her.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unaware implies a complete lack of knowledge or consciousness about something.
- 2Ignorant suggests a lack of knowledge or information about something, but it can be remedied through learning.
- 3Oblivious describes a lack of attention or memory, rather than a lack of knowledge.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more accurately.
- 2Clarify Meaning: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to clarify meaning and avoid misunderstandings.
- 3Improve Comprehension: Learn these antonyms to better understand written and spoken English.
The antonyms of cognizant are unaware, ignorant, and oblivious. Use them to enhance your vocabulary, clarify meaning, and improve comprehension. Remember that unaware implies a complete lack of knowledge, ignorant suggests a lack of information that can be remedied, and oblivious describes a lack of attention or memory.