What is the antonym of “commandment”?
The antonyms of commandment are disobedience and noncompliance. These words describe the opposite of following rules or orders.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refusal or failure to obey rules, laws, or someone in authority.
His disobedience to traffic laws led to a serious accident.
Failure or refusal to comply with rules, regulations, or instructions.
The company's noncompliance with safety standards resulted in a hefty fine.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disobedience implies a deliberate act of defiance against rules or authority.
- 2Noncompliance is a more neutral term that describes a failure to follow rules or instructions.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Context: Use disobedience and noncompliance in legal contexts to describe violations of rules or regulations.
- 2Parenting: Use these antonyms to teach children about following rules and consequences of disobedience.
- 3Workplace: Use these words to describe employees who fail to follow company policies or instructions.