What is the antonym of “commend”?
The antonyms of commend are criticize and condemn. The antonyms criticize and condemn convey a negative or disapproving attitude towards someone or something. It implies a lack of praise, approval, or admiration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express disapproval or find fault with someone or something.
The teacher would criticize the students for not completing their homework on time.
To express strong disapproval or censure towards someone or something.
The government would condemn any act of violence against its citizens.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Criticize is a general term that describes finding fault or expressing disapproval.
- 2Condemn is a stronger term that implies strong disapproval or censure towards someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use criticize and condemn to express disapproval effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create a more nuanced and varied tone.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Criticize conveys finding fault or expressing disapproval, while condemn implies strong disapproval or censure towards someone or something. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating a more nuanced and varied tone.