What is the antonym of “complacency”?
The antonyms of complacency are dissatisfaction and discontentment. The antonyms dissatisfaction and discontentment convey a negative or discontented emotional state. It implies a lack of satisfaction, pleasure, or contentment.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A feeling of disappointment or unhappiness with a situation or the way things are.
She expressed her dissatisfaction with the service she received at the restaurant.
A feeling of dissatisfaction or unhappiness with one's circumstances or situation.
He felt a sense of discontentment with his job and decided to look for a new one.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dissatisfaction is a general term that describes a feeling of disappointment or unhappiness with a situation or the way things are.
- 2Discontentment is a more specific term that describes a feeling of dissatisfaction or unhappiness with one's circumstances or situation.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use dissatisfaction and discontentment to express emotions effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Dissatisfaction conveys general disappointment, while discontentment refers to dissatisfaction with one's circumstances. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating relatable characters and compelling narratives.