What is the antonym of “compliant”?
The antonym of compliant is defiant, noncompliant, and unyielding. The antonyms defiant, noncompliant, and unyielding convey a negative or rebellious attitude. It implies a lack of willingness to follow rules, orders, or requests.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Showing resistance or disobedience towards authority or rules.
The student was defiant towards the teacher's instructions and refused to complete the assignment.
Not following or conforming to rules, regulations, or expectations.
The company faced penalties for being noncompliant with environmental regulations.
Refusing to change one's opinion, decision, or behavior; stubborn.
Despite the evidence presented, he remained unyielding in his belief that he was right.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Defiant implies an active resistance or disobedience towards authority or rules.
- 2Noncompliant describes a passive nonconformity or failure to follow rules or regulations.
- 3Unyielding refers to a stubborn refusal to change one's opinion, decision, or behavior.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Matters: Use noncompliant to describe individuals or organizations that fail to follow laws or regulations.
- 2Parenting: Use defiant to describe children who refuse to follow rules or instructions.
- 3Negotiations: Use unyielding to describe people who refuse to compromise or change their position.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Defiant implies active resistance, noncompliant describes passive nonconformity, and unyielding refers to stubbornness. Use these words in legal matters, parenting, and negotiations to describe individuals or organizations that fail to follow rules or regulations, children who refuse to follow rules or instructions, and people who refuse to compromise or change their position.