What is the antonym of “condemning”?
The antonyms of condemning are praise and commend. The antonyms praise and commend convey a positive or approving attitude towards someone or something. It implies a recognition of their good qualities, actions, or achievements.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express admiration, approval, or commendation for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for his excellent performance in the exam.
To express approval or admiration for someone's actions or qualities.
The manager commended the employee for his hard work and dedication to the project.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a more general term that describes an expression of admiration or approval.
- 2Commend is a more specific term that describes an expression of approval for someone's actions or qualities.
Good things to know
- 1Express Gratitude: Use praise and commend to show appreciation for someone's good qualities or actions.
- 2Motivate Others: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to encourage and motivate others.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create characters with distinct personalities and attitudes.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general admiration, while commend refers to approval for someone's actions or qualities. Use these words to express gratitude, motivate others, and enrich writing by creating characters with distinct personalities and attitudes.