What is the antonym of “condescension”?
The antonyms of condescension are respect, deference, and humility. The antonyms respect, deference, and humility convey a positive or humble attitude towards others. It implies treating others with dignity, honor, and reverence.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A feeling of admiration or esteem for someone's abilities, qualities, or achievements.
He earned the respect of his colleagues by working hard and being honest.
A courteous regard for other people's feelings, opinions, or wishes.
Out of deference to his boss, he didn't speak up during the meeting.
A modest or unassuming attitude towards oneself; the quality of being humble.
She showed humility by admitting her mistakes and apologizing.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Respect is an admiration for someone's abilities, qualities, or achievements.
- 2Deference is a courteous regard for other people's feelings, opinions, or wishes.
- 3Humility is a modest or unassuming attitude towards oneself.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use respect, deference, and humility to show appreciation and respect towards others.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding and humility.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create characters with distinct personalities and attitudes.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Respect conveys admiration, deference denotes courteous regard, and humility refers to modesty. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating characters with distinct personalities and attitudes.