What is the antonym of “confess”?
The antonyms of confess are deny, withhold, and conceal. These words convey the opposite meaning of confessing, which is to admit or acknowledge something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To declare that something is not true or that one did not do something.
He denied stealing the money from the cash register.
To refuse to give or grant something; to keep back or retain.
The company withheld his bonus until he completed the project.
To hide or keep something secret.
She concealed her true identity from her coworkers.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deny is used when someone refuses to accept or acknowledge something that is true.
- 2Withhold is used when someone intentionally keeps something back or refuses to give it.
- 3Conceal is used when someone hides or keeps something secret.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Proceedings: Use deny in legal proceedings when someone refuses to admit guilt.
- 2Negotiations: Use withhold in negotiations when someone refuses to give or grant something.
- 3Mystery Stories: Use conceal in mystery stories to create suspense and intrigue.
The antonyms of confess are deny, withhold, and conceal. Use deny when someone refuses to accept the truth, withhold when someone intentionally keeps something back, and conceal when someone hides or keeps something secret. These words can be used in legal proceedings, negotiations, and mystery stories.