What is the antonym of “conquer”?
The antonyms of conquer are surrender, yield, and fail. The antonyms surrender and yield imply giving up or relinquishing control, while fail means to be unsuccessful in achieving a goal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give up control or possession of something, often as a result of force or pressure.
The army was forced to surrender after running out of ammunition.
To give way or concede to someone or something; to surrender or submit.
The driver had to yield to the pedestrian crossing the road.
To be unsuccessful in achieving a goal or objective.
Despite his best efforts, he failed to pass the exam.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Surrender implies giving up control or possession of something, often as a result of force or pressure.
- 2Yield means to give way or concede to someone or something, while conquer means to overcome or defeat.
- 3Fail means to be unsuccessful in achieving a goal or objective, while conquer means to succeed in overcoming a challenge.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express different shades of meaning.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create contrast and convey different emotions.
- 3Enrich Learning: Utilize these antonyms to deepen your understanding of words and concepts.