What is the antonym of “conscientious”?
The antonyms of conscientious are careless, negligent, and unconcerned. These antonyms convey a lack of care, attention, or responsibility.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors.
He was careless with his phone and dropped it on the floor.
Failing to take proper care in doing something.
The doctor was found negligent for not following the standard procedures during the surgery.
Not interested or involved in something; not caring.
He seemed unconcerned about the consequences of his actions.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Careless implies a lack of attention or thought, while negligent implies a failure to take proper care.
- 2Unconcerned is a complementary antonym that describes a lack of interest or involvement.
Good things to know
- 1Workplace: Use these antonyms to describe employees' work ethics.
- 2Education: Teach students the importance of being conscientious by contrasting it with its antonyms.
- 3Daily Life: Use these antonyms to describe people's behavior and attitudes.
The antonyms of conscientious are careless, negligent, and unconcerned. Use these words to describe people's work ethics, behavior, and attitudes. Careless implies a lack of attention or thought, negligent implies a failure to take proper care, and unconcerned describes a lack of interest or involvement.