What is the antonym of “consider”?
The antonyms of consider are disregard, ignore, and neglect. These words convey a lack of attention, interest, or importance given to something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To pay no attention to; ignore entirely.
He chose to disregard the warning signs and ended up in trouble.
To refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
She decided to ignore his rude behavior and not let it affect her.
To fail to care for or attend to properly; leave undone or unattended.
The landlord neglected to fix the leaking faucet, causing water damage to the apartment.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disregard implies a conscious decision to ignore or pay no attention to something.
- 2Ignore suggests a deliberate choice to refuse to acknowledge or take notice of something.
- 3Neglect refers to a failure to care for or attend to something properly.
Good things to know
- 1Instructing: Use disregard, ignore, and neglect to explain what not to do.
- 2Describing: Incorporate these antonyms to paint a clear picture of what is happening.
- 3Persuading: Utilize these words to convince someone to take action by emphasizing the negative consequences of not doing so.
The antonyms of consider are disregard, ignore, and neglect. They convey a lack of attention, interest, or importance given to something. Disregard implies a conscious decision to ignore, ignore suggests a deliberate choice to refuse to acknowledge, and neglect refers to a failure to care for or attend to something properly. Use these words to instruct, describe, and persuade effectively.