What is the antonym of “consistent”?
The antonyms of consistent are inconsistent, unreliable, and variable. These words describe the opposite of something that is steady, dependable, and predictable.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not staying the same throughout; lacking regularity or predictability.
Her performance was inconsistent throughout the season, sometimes great and sometimes poor.
Not able to be trusted or depended on; not consistent in quality or performance.
He is an unreliable employee who often misses deadlines and makes mistakes.
Likely to change or vary; not consistent or steady.
The weather in this region is variable, with sudden changes in temperature and precipitation.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inconsistent refers to something that lacks regularity or predictability.
- 2Unreliable describes something that cannot be trusted or depended on.
- 3Variable means something that is likely to change or vary.
Good things to know
- 1Workplace: Use these antonyms to describe employees' performance, work quality, and behavior.
- 2Academic: Use these antonyms to describe students' academic performance, attendance, and study habits.
- 3Personal: Use these antonyms to describe personal traits, habits, and relationships.
The antonyms of consistent are inconsistent, unreliable, and variable. Use these words to describe a lack of regularity, trustworthiness, or predictability in various contexts such as workplace, academic, or personal situations.