What is the antonym of “contrive”?
The antonyms of contrive are destroy, ruin, and demolish. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of contrive, which means to plan or scheme to achieve something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To completely ruin or demolish something so that it no longer exists.
The hurricane destroyed the entire town, leaving nothing but rubble and debris.
To damage or spoil something beyond repair, making it unusable or worthless.
The heavy rain ruined the picnic by soaking all the food and making the ground muddy.
To completely destroy a building or structure.
The old factory was demolished to make way for a new shopping mall.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Destroy implies complete annihilation, while contrive implies planning or scheming to achieve something.
- 2Ruin suggests damage beyond repair, while contrive suggests a deliberate effort to create or achieve something.
- 3Demolish specifically refers to destroying a building or structure, while contrive can refer to any type of planning or scheming.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Learn and use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.
- 2Improve Writing: Use these antonyms in writing to add variety and depth to your language.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in books and articles to understand their usage in context.
The antonyms of contrive are destroy, ruin, and demolish. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of contrive, which means to plan or scheme to achieve something. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, improve your writing, and enrich your reading experience.