What is the antonym of “cooperator”?
The antonyms of cooperator are competitor, opponent, and adversary. These words describe people or entities that are working against each other, rather than together.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A person or entity that is trying to win or do better than others in the same field or activity.
In business, it's important to keep an eye on your competitors and make sure you're offering something unique.
A person or entity that is competing against another in a contest, game, or argument.
The two candidates were fierce opponents during the election, but they remained civil towards each other.
A person or entity that is actively opposing or working against another.
The superhero had to face his arch-adversary in a final showdown to save the city.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Competitor refers to someone who is trying to do better than others in the same field or activity.
- 2Opponent refers to someone who is competing against another in a contest, game, or argument.
- 3Adversary refers to someone who is actively opposing or working against another.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use competitor to refer to other companies in the same industry.
- 2Sports: Use opponent to refer to the team or player you are playing against.
- 3Conflict: Use adversary to refer to someone who is actively working against you or your interests.