What is the antonym of “counteract”?
The antonyms of counteract are aid, assist, and promote. The antonyms aid, assist, and promote convey a positive or helpful action. It implies supporting or helping something to succeed.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To provide assistance or support to someone or something.
The government has pledged to aid the victims of the natural disaster.
To help or support someone in completing a task or achieving a goal.
The teacher offered to assist the students with their homework after class.
To encourage or support the growth, development, or success of something.
The company is planning to promote its new product through social media advertising.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Aid and assist are similar in meaning, but aid often implies providing material or financial support, while assist implies providing help or guidance.
- 2Promote is different from counteract as it implies supporting or encouraging something to succeed, rather than opposing or neutralizing it.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use aid, assist, and promote in marketing and sales to support products and services.
- 2Education: Incorporate these antonyms in teaching to help students understand the differences between them.
- 3Personal Development: Use these words to describe actions that support personal growth and development.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Aid and assist imply providing help or support, while promote implies encouraging or supporting growth and success. Use these words in business, education, and personal development contexts to describe actions that support and promote success.