What is the antonym of “credible”?
The antonym of credible is implausible, unbelievable, and incredible. The antonyms implausible, unbelievable, and incredible convey a lack of believability or credibility. It implies that something is not trustworthy, reliable, or convincing.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Unlikely to be true or believable.
The story he told was so implausible that no one believed him.
Difficult or impossible to believe.
The amount of money he claimed to have won was unbelievable.
Impossible or very difficult to believe.
The athlete's performance was incredible and broke all records.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Implausible suggests that something is unlikely to be true or believable.
- 2Unbelievable implies that something is difficult or impossible to believe.
- 3Incredible suggests that something is impossible or very difficult to believe.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use implausible, unbelievable, and incredible to express disbelief effectively.
- 2Critical Thinking: Incorporate antonyms in discussions to evaluate the credibility of information.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create suspense and tension.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Implausible suggests unlikelihood, unbelievable implies difficulty in believing, and incredible suggests impossibility. Use these words to enhance communication, critical thinking, and enrich writing by creating suspense and tension.