What is the antonym of “criticism”?
The antonyms of criticism are praise, commendation, and approval. These words convey a positive evaluation or judgment of someone's work, behavior, or actions. They imply satisfaction, appreciation, or admiration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Expressing approval or admiration for someone's achievements, qualities, or actions.
The teacher gave him praise for his excellent performance in the class.
An official or public expression of praise or approval for someone's work or behavior.
The company received commendation from the government for its contribution to the environment.
The act of officially agreeing to or accepting something, often after careful consideration or examination.
The board of directors gave their approval to the new project proposal.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a general term that describes expressing approval or admiration for someone's achievements, qualities, or actions.
- 2Commendation is a more formal term that refers to an official or public expression of praise or approval for someone's work or behavior.
- 3Approval is a complementary term that describes the act of officially agreeing to or accepting something, often after careful consideration or examination.
Good things to know
- 1Motivate Others: Use praise, commendation, and approval to encourage and motivate others.
- 2Build Relationships: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to show appreciation and respect.
- 3Provide Feedback: Utilize these antonyms to provide constructive feedback and recognize good work.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general approval, commendation denotes an official or public expression of praise, and approval refers to the act of agreeing or accepting something. Use these words to motivate others, build relationships, and provide feedback by recognizing good work and showing appreciation.