What is the antonym of “deem”?
The antonyms of deem are disregard, ignore, and overlook. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of deem, which is to consider or judge something in a particular way.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To pay no attention to; ignore.
He chose to disregard the warning signs and ended up getting lost in the woods.
To refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
She decided to ignore his rude comments and focus on her work instead.
To fail to notice or consider; disregard.
He accidentally overlooked the typo in his report and had to revise it later.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disregard implies a deliberate decision to ignore something.
- 2Ignore suggests a refusal to acknowledge or pay attention to something.
- 3Overlook means to fail to notice or consider something, often unintentionally.
Good things to know
- 1In Writing: Use these antonyms to express the opposite meaning of deem in written assignments.
- 2In Conversation: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to convey different shades of meaning.
- 3In Reading: Look for these antonyms in reading materials to expand your vocabulary.
The antonyms of deem are disregard, ignore, and overlook. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of deem and can be used in writing, conversation, and reading to express different shades of meaning.