What is the antonym of “deficiency”?
The antonyms of deficiency are sufficiency, adequacy, and abundance. These words describe the opposite of a lack or shortage of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of having enough or an adequate amount of something.
After years of struggling, she finally achieved a level of sufficiency in her finances.
The quality of being sufficient or suitable for a particular purpose.
The company's safety measures were deemed to be of adequate quality by the regulatory body.
A plentiful or ample quantity of something.
The garden was filled with an abundance of colorful flowers.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sufficiency refers to having enough of something, while adequacy refers to something being suitable or appropriate for a particular purpose.
- 2Abundance is used to describe a large quantity of something, while sufficiency and adequacy refer to having enough or the right amount.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use adequacy to describe products or services that meet customer needs.
- 2Personal Finance: Use sufficiency to describe having enough money to cover expenses.
- 3Nature: Use abundance to describe a plentiful supply of natural resources.
The antonyms of deficiency are sufficiency, adequacy, and abundance. Use sufficiency to describe having enough of something, adequacy to describe something being suitable for a particular purpose, and abundance to describe a large quantity of something.