What is the antonym of “definitiveness”?
The antonyms of definitiveness are indefiniteness and uncertainty. These words convey the opposite meaning of something being clear, certain, or conclusive.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of clarity, precision, or certainty.
The instructions were written with such indefiniteness that it was hard to understand what to do.
Lack of knowledge, information, or confidence about something.
The outcome of the election was still in uncertainty, and no one knew who would win.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Indefiniteness refers to a lack of clarity or precision, while uncertainty refers to a lack of knowledge or confidence.
- 2Indefiniteness can be used to describe something that is vague or imprecise, while uncertainty is used to describe a situation where the outcome is unknown or unpredictable.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use indefiniteness and uncertainty in research papers to describe limitations and areas for further study.
- 2Business Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in emails and reports to convey the level of certainty or ambiguity in a project or decision.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Use these words to express doubt or lack of clarity in personal conversations.
The antonyms of definitiveness are indefiniteness and uncertainty. Indefiniteness refers to a lack of clarity or precision, while uncertainty refers to a lack of knowledge or confidence. These words can be used in academic writing, business communication, and everyday conversation to express doubt or convey the level of certainty or ambiguity in a situation.