What is the antonym of “deserved”?
The antonyms of deserved are undeserved, unearned, and unmerited. These words convey the opposite meaning of something that is earned or deserved. They imply that something is not justified or warranted.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not earned or deserved; not justified.
He received an undeserved promotion because of his connections, not his skills.
Not obtained through effort, work, or merit; not deserved.
She inherited a large sum of money from her uncle, which she felt was unearned and undeserved.
Not deserved or warranted; not based on merit or worthiness.
The company gave him a bonus that he felt was unmerited and unfair, as he had not contributed much to the team's success.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Undeserved implies that something is not justified or warranted, whereas unearned implies that something is not obtained through effort or merit.
- 2Unearned and unmerited have similar meanings, but unmerited emphasizes that something is not based on merit or worthiness.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use these antonyms to express disapproval of something that is not deserved or justified.
- 2Discuss Ethics: Incorporate these words in discussions about ethics and fairness.
- 3Analyze Literature: Analyze literature by identifying instances where characters receive something that is undeserved or unearned.
The antonyms of deserved are undeserved, unearned, and unmerited. These words convey the opposite meaning of something that is earned or deserved. Use them to express disapproval, discuss ethics, and analyze literature.