What is the antonym of “despising”?
The antonyms of despising are admire, respect, and praise. These words convey a positive or approving attitude towards someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To regard with respect, approval, or high esteem.
I admire her courage to speak up against injustice.
To hold in high regard; to show consideration or honor for someone or something.
We should respect our elders and their wisdom.
To express admiration, approval, or commendation for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student's hard work and dedication.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Admire implies a feeling of respect and high esteem for someone or something.
- 2Respect is a more formal term that conveys a sense of honor and consideration.
- 3Praise is an expression of approval or commendation for someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Express Approval: Use admire, respect, and praise to show appreciation and approval.
- 2Encourage Positive Behavior: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to encourage positive behavior and attitudes.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create a positive tone and convey a sense of admiration.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Admire conveys respect and high esteem, respect denotes honor and consideration, and praise expresses approval and commendation. Use these words to express approval, encourage positive behavior, and enrich writing by creating a positive tone and conveying a sense of admiration.