What is the antonym of “detention”?
The antonyms of detention are release and freedom. The antonyms release and freedom convey a positive or liberated state. It implies a lack of confinement, restriction, or captivity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of setting someone free from confinement, custody, or obligation.
After serving his sentence, he was granted an early release from prison.
The company decided to release the employees from their contracts.
The state of being free from confinement, coercion, or oppression.
The abolition of slavery marked a significant milestone in the fight for freedom.
She cherished her freedom to travel and explore new places.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Release is a specific term that describes the act of setting someone free from confinement, custody, or obligation.
- 2Freedom is a more general term that describes the state of being free from confinement, coercion, or oppression.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Context: Use release to refer to the act of setting someone free from custody or confinement.
- 2Political Context: Use freedom to refer to the state of being free from oppression or coercion.
- 3Personal Context: Use both antonyms to express the desire for liberation or the relief of being released from a difficult situation.