What is the antonym of “dilating”?
The antonyms of dilating are contract, shrink, and compress. These words describe the opposite action of expanding or enlarging something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become smaller in size or volume; to draw together.
The muscles in his hand began to contract as he squeezed the ball tightly.
To become smaller in size or amount; to reduce.
The sweater shrank in the wash and no longer fit her properly.
To press or squeeze something into a smaller space or volume.
The hiker used a sleeping bag that could compress into a small backpack.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Contract implies a drawing together of parts, while dilate implies an expansion or enlargement.
- 2Shrink refers to a reduction in size or amount, while dilate refers to an increase in size or amount.
- 3Compress means to press or squeeze something into a smaller space or volume, while dilate means to expand or enlarge something.
Good things to know
- 1Medical Terminology: Use these antonyms to describe changes in the size of blood vessels or pupils.
- 2Science: Incorporate these antonyms when discussing the properties of matter and how they change under different conditions.
- 3Everyday Life: Use these antonyms to describe changes in the size of objects, such as clothing or food.