What is the antonym of “discerned”?
The antonyms of discerned are miss, overlook, and ignore. These words convey the opposite meaning of discerned, which means to perceive or recognize something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To fail to notice, catch, or experience something.
I missed the train this morning because I overslept.
To fail to see or notice something; to ignore or neglect something.
He overlooked the typos in his report and submitted it without proofreading.
To pay no attention to something; to disregard or dismiss something.
She ignored the warning signs and continued to drive despite the heavy rain.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Miss implies that something was not noticed or experienced, whereas discerned implies that something was perceived or recognized.
- 2Overlook suggests that something was missed due to carelessness or negligence, while discerned suggests that something was perceived through careful observation or analysis.
- 3Ignore implies a deliberate choice to pay no attention to something, while discerned implies an active effort to perceive or recognize something.
Good things to know
- 1Improve Observation Skills: Use discerned to describe situations where you have carefully observed and perceived something.
- 2Avoid Carelessness: Use miss and overlook to describe situations where you failed to notice something due to carelessness or negligence.
- 3Express Disregard: Use ignore to describe situations where you deliberately chose to pay no attention to something.
The antonyms of discerned are miss, overlook, and ignore. These words convey the opposite meaning of discerned, which means to perceive or recognize something. Use these words to improve observation skills, avoid carelessness, and express disregard for something.