What is the antonym of “discolour”?
The antonyms of discolour are colour and brighten. The antonyms colour and brighten convey a positive or improved state of appearance. It implies the restoration of the original color or a brighter shade.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give color, tint, or hue to something.
She decided to colour her hair blonde for the summer.
To make something lighter, more vivid, or more cheerful.
The sun came out and started to brighten the room.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Colour is a general term that describes adding color to something.
- 2Brighten is a more specific term that describes making something lighter, more vivid, or more cheerful.
Good things to know
- 1Art and Design: Use colour to add hues and shades to artwork and designs.
- 2Home Decor: Use brighten to make rooms appear lighter and more cheerful.
- 3Personal Care: Use colour to dye hair or add color to makeup.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Colour conveys adding color to something, while brighten denotes making something lighter, more vivid, or more cheerful. Use these words in art and design, home decor, and personal care to enhance appearance and mood.